Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Model 14s.........etc

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    By the way, I believe the LF1 & LF2 has the same imported walnut (Endurian?) that was used on the even numbered speakers (except for the Model 14 and 18), so your Model 8's probably match the coffee table sub wonderfully!

    I am so envious! Nice set-up.

    That was near my exit from Altec. I actually built several of the odd numbered prototype speakers in OKC in pre-production. It was a lot of fun building a new line of speakers! But I was dissapointed when I didn't see a replacement for the Model 19. forums

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HI Carl Bill,
    I've always wondered why Altec made the model 14 woofer. Why the 1.5" voice coil? If anyone knows I'ld love to know. Really..a Model 15/9 woofer can be substituted?

    I too have the parts for a Model 14 pair. Just need the time to build a pair of cabs.

    The LF1 sub is great. I've played a lot of different subs and find the LF1 is very well balanced in sound. It reproduces low octaves in mucic very naturally. I'm not a big home theater guy but do enjoy HBO. When its a car crash, the LF1 makes it sound like a car crash.

    I'm actually going to build another because I have the crossover and stainless steel base from an LF 1 that was trashed. Can't get Endriana anymore so I'll use another veneer. The diamond matched pattern Altec used is really a nice furniture design.

    Good luck in your search! I've always got my eye out for one too.

    Jim Butler

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    I've always wondered why Altec made the model 14 woofer. Why the 1.5" voice coil? If anyone knows I'ld love to know. Really..a Model 15/9 woofer can be substituted?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    I don't know why Altec did it, but from a technical POV, the smaller VC intriniscally has a wider BW and greater efficiency potential. The M14 is more efficient than the M15, so one point 'proved', but the M14 has a 1500 Hz XO Vs the M15's 1700 Hz, so there's the conundrum for me without knowing more details.

    GM

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So if I build a pair of Model 14 cabs, using Model 9/15 woofers and the Model 14 902's with the loading caps removed and a regular padded 902 rear cover, will it be any different than a normal Model 14 as far as sound goes? I assume it has to be different, but for the better or ?????

    Any thoughts?

    The Model 14 crossover appears to be a weak link. Any ideas on a replacement? Would a model 15 be any better? I don't know if the Model 14 features are worth the light weight componients.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    From previous threads on the Model 14 I know that the woofer is designed to run open ended until naturally rolling off well above the 1500 crossover. Can't say if the Model 15 woofer/crossover is designed the same way.
    Perhaps this has something to do with the smaller voice coil in the 14.

    Carl Bill, I couldn't say what the resulting sound would be in substituting the woofer in a 14 with one from a 15. If anyone who has both and doesn't mind giving it a shot, be great to know the results.

    Jim Butler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.